Cannabis (Cannabis sativa) or marijuana is a capricious plant to grow. Whether you grow it outdoors or indoors, if you do not take adequate care, you would not be able to enjoy a good harvest. At the same time, it does not take too much effort to ensure that you grow a good crop.
1. Outdoor Harvest Of Cannabis – the best crops of cannabis are grown outdoors. All plants require light more or less, but with cannabis its importance is paramount. The time of flowering of this plant actually depends on how much exposure it gets to both light and darkness. For best results, you will need to expose the crop to 12 hours sunlight and 12 hour darkness.
One crop of cannabis requires one whole year to mature; it flowers towards the beginning of the winter when the days become shorter and darkness periods are lengthened. To ensure a rich harvest you need to ensure that the crop gets enough direct light for the right length of time; and it is equally important that the plants are exposed to the right length of darkness as well.
2. Indoor Harvest of Cannabis With Hydroponics – out of all the indoor methods used for growing cannabis this is perhaps the one which will give you the best results ever. This is because the plant grows faster and much larger with hydroponics – this is the soil-less methods of growing crops – as compared to the plants that would grow outdoors. The speed of growth is accelerated because the plants receive higher level of nutrients and more infusion of oxygen.
The yield from hydroponically grown cannabis is far superior to the one you get from the outdoor-grown crop. This is possible because in hydroponics you can control all the elements that make the plant grow into a mature plant, i.e. temperature, light, darkness, water and nutrients. The only drawback with this system is that it is a little difficult for beginners to master. It takes some time to gain enough experience to master the system and grow a perfect crop of cannabis.
3. Sea Of Green Method Of Harvesting Cannabis – this is a novel way to grow marijuana plants. With this method the plants are manipulated to start flowering when they are still young, expediting the time of harvest. This method is especially beneficial when the grower plans to grow more than one crop during the year because the area to be sown is small and hence multiple (and continuous) crops could ensure a good overall yearly harvest.
If nurtured correctly all the varieties of cannabis respond well to this method of harvesting. However, you will get the best results with the following varieties of marijuana – Sugar Babe, Magic Bud, Belladone, Sheherazade, Nebula and Sensi Star among others.
The method is relatively simple to implement. The crop is planted to grow a green canopy that can absorb maximum light at the top; as and when the plants mature at the top it is harvested and this increases air flow at the lower ends of the plants. The lower branches are trimmed to facilitate better growth.
Though the method is easy to apply, the technique needs to be internalized properly if you want optimal results from your crop. This method is best when area of planting is limited and so is capital to buy seeds. The flowing steps are to be incorporated in the Sea Of Green (SoG) method:
- New plants are obtained either by germination or through cuttings from marijuana clones;
- The saplings are grown in area where light exposure is generated for 18-24 hours until the plants grow to a height of about 12 inches;
- Each sapling is then sown on a plot of 1 square foot and then provided the regular 12 hour light and 12 hour darkness cycle as it would get outdoors until it starts flowering;
- When the underneath forms a dense canopy of cannabis these are trimmed to make clone plants for the next crop;
- Harvest when the crop is ripe and ready.
4. Screen of Green – also known as SCOG this is another method of growing marijuana quickly. In fact this one of the methods that produces the richest harvest of marijuana amongst all. Besides the rich crop, this method enjoys the advantage of being one amongst the easiest to adopt even for inexperienced growers.
This method is most rewarding for those who have access to low light sources and limited vertical space. With this method the grower uses just one or a very small number of plants and uses a portion of wire mesh screen as a barrier between the light and the plant. The light source can be as small and insignificant as one or a few LED bulbs.
The steps used in the Sea of Green are used here, too but on a highly limited scale. This method is very useful for people who want to grow the marijuana plant secretly without anyone else’s knowledge – say, in a closet, under the bed, etc.
The only factor that is critical to the Screen of Green method is timing. If you master the timing, you can have a great (personal) crop even with just ONE plant. For light the lowest is the LED, but you could use CFL bulbs as well for better (quicker) results.
There are many methods to grow this controversial plant and some are easy and some are not. For those who want to try their hands at growing cannabis this guide will help you gain a basic idea of what you could use depending upon the factors and facilities available to you. No matter which method you choose, you will need to research it in depth and practice it for a while before expecting optimum results.
Do not be disappointed if you get a less than perfect crop in the initial attempts. With time and practice your crops will become better and better and you would find it easier to use whatever method you choose to master among the above mentioned four. You could also try your hand at all the methods and see which one suits you best – in other words, which one will give best returns for your efforts and investment.